Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Queen Califa's Magic Circle ... revisited

Note the airplane shaped shadow by the totem by SammySammy lounging by his favorite stone - Tiger Eye
A-maze-ing place!
Me and my sweet Gemini!

I was really hoping to make it back to see Queen Califa's Magic Circle again and was thrilled that my best friend (since I was 15) Teri was happy to join us with her "spawn" Hannah. It was quite hot and we didn't stay too long. After ogling over all the beautiful rocks, minerals, mirrors and colored glass inlayed into the intricate statues we noticed the unusual shadows created by the totems. The entire layout of the statues seemed to be modeled after Stonehenge and astrology/astronomy. Some of the shadows created were totally unexpected from the look of the totems. The concept and execution of the whole circle must have been a phenomenally complex undertaking. I was so grateful that this area was spared during the San Diego fires last year. After sitting awhile on a bench by a lake to watch ducks, we found an ice cream store for a sweet way to beat the heat. As with so many other parts of our trip, we did a ton of really fun activities, but I never felt I had quite enough time to really relax and soak it all in. We spent about 6 hours with Teri and I would have been happy talking with her for a MUCH longer time. Sigh. I'll just have to do better with the telephone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home