Monday, November 24, 2008

Post Op Note for Sammy


Sammy’s surgery went really well. As we could tell from the hearing test results being so bad for his right ear, it had a lot more sticky junk in it than his left. Both were suctioned out and should continue to clear over the next month with the tubes allowing drainage. The surgeon said Sammy’s adenoids were very large, which may account for his lifelong mouth breathing as well as the collection of germs and fluid buildup in his ears.

The day today went well … Sammy was an incredibly cooperative gentleman going into the surgery. As was the case with his first surgery … waking up was the difficult part. Normally Sammy is rather quiet about his unhappiness … he’ll withdraw and shut down outwardly as opposed to throwing a noisy fit (well, not always, but he’s certainly not a rager). Sometimes I don’t even realize he’s unhappy until I’ve noticed him sitting quietly in a secluded area for quite some time looking down or with his eyes closed. I will say the mirror of his typical personality comes out when he is waking up from anesthesia. Sammy was raging with fury and passing out over and over in cycles. Each time he passed out I prayed he could sleep for awhile, but he kept waking up crying after only a few minutes and trying to pull the IV out of his arm and the O2 meter off of his toe. Finally he fell asleep and slept soundly in my arms for a good hour (so sweet). When the nurses came by and asked periodically if I wanted them to wake him up I said “please NO … let him sleep!” After his long siesta he was back to his normal sweet self … groggy, and still shy with the nurses, but not in a drug induced rage.

Sammy will have another hearing test in a month because his hearing is so bad right now. Sammy already said to me in the car without me asking him “my ears sound different than they did last night.” Yay! We barely had 30 minutes at home to scarf down some food before having to pick Johnny up from school. Sammy hadn’t eaten since last night so by 2pm he hungrily ate the soft food I served him and was asking for some “real” food. I think we have a great surgeon and I pray that Sammy’s has no more recurrences of hearing loss and that he will be able to breathe through his nose easily for the first time ever!

Thank you all for your loving prayers of peace and healing. That means so much to us!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Walmer Family said...

SO thankful everything turned out OK for Sammy! Keep your blog updated! I check it often! Love and miss you guys!

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home