Sunday, October 15, 2006

Bayou City Art Festival


We went to the Bayou City Art Festival yesterday which consisted of what seemed like hundreds of booths of artwork and a kid's Creative Zone with lots of fun craft activities. We walked around and looked at the artwork (paintings, drawings, photography, sculpture, jewelry, etc.) and I found some that I really loved. Everything that I liked was way too expensive. Unfortunately, since Johnny's expectations were set that this was a kid-fun festival he really wasn't interested in the artwork and was fixated only on going to the kid's area, where we ended up spending most of our time.

The moon walk was their favorite event, but turned out not to look at all safe for babies. Sammy didn't get hurt at all, but it looked way too easy for him to get clobbered. Both boys got Jack-o-lanterns painted on their hands at the face painting booth. Sammy sat completely still and quiet while his hand was being painted but when it was all done and he looked up and saw the lady's face he panicked and turned to grab onto me, smearing his pumpkin in the process. Sammy is definitely in another stranger anxiety phase. Johnny made a treasure box by gluing sparkly gems, shiny coins and a big seashell to round box which he then decorated with different colors of glitter glue. We can definitely add to his creation at home with all of our craft supplies. Johnny strung beads onto a pipe cleaner to make a special bracelet while Sammy fondled another cup full of beads and did his best to dump it out. I was of course watching him like a hawk to make sure he didn't try to eat anything, although he doesn't typically put objects in his mouth anymore. Sammy decorated his very own mini-art car with a little help. While he took to the concept of gluing immediately, he didn't quite get that he was supposed to leave the objects on the car that we were gluing on and kept taking everything back off. We settled on a jar of glitter which he shook all over the glue. It was so cute to see Sammy trying his best to participate in all the big kid activities. We all had a great time and enjoyed being out for a beautiful not too hot day before all the rains came back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWW

Looks like lots of fun for the wee little ones

5:48 PM  
Blogger Andrea Frazer said...

I so love art festivals. I have a good friend who drags me about once/year. Flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales... you just never know what you're going to find. And though I do love going with the kids to the local Farmers Market on Wednesdays, it's nirvana for me to go to these things alone. "ooooh...a whole five minutes gazing at an avocado without pleas for the petting zoo and questions about why that turkey is pecking off its own foot." Oh, that's cool your boys would allow someone to paint them. My daughter might go for it, but Stink is so sketchy about that stuff.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Mandy Klevenski said...

Thanks Mr. Jordy - it was fun! ;)

Mama P - ah yes the days of browsing through festivals with only my interests and my time line in mind are a distant fading memory. I used to live in Uptown Whittier and would go to the art festivals there every year, and even showed a bunch of my own paintings in a "gallery" during the festival one year. Amusingly enough, that is exactly where I got my mundi hose identity as they butchered the spelling of my name so badly in the festival booklet that they spelled it that way. LOL. This weekend it will be my turn to paint a bunch of kiddos at our local fall festival. I'm looking forward to it! :D

3:17 PM  
Blogger Teri M. said...

Fun stuff :)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home