Friday, March 03, 2006

HVAC Retrofit and Our Health

Johnny dressed up for Rodeo Day at school

Sammy on the nebulizer again

Filthy, nasty, moldy brown funky dust

This is the air we have been breathing for the last 3 years

Another view inside old plenum


Well, a picture is worth a thousand words. Let me just say that nasty brown moldy dust looking funk you can see on the inside of our old plenum was coming out in chunks from our ceiling vents and periodically appearing on the floor of Sammy's bedroom and our master bathroom. I was horrified when I saw the inside of our furnace system and ducts, as it was filled with this nasty toxic looking crud. We had all of the exposed ductwork and the plenum replaced yesterday, as well as having the furance coil completely cleaned and the whole system sealed up and made airtight. I think the air in the house already smells cleaner and fresher. I can't believe what awful condition the inside of our HVAC system was in and it is no wonder that I have felt "allergic" to our house since we moved in. I pray that drastically cleaning up the air inside our house will have a positive impact on our health ... how can it not? Sammy has such notable breathing trouble whenever he gets sick ... which seems to be constantly ... I really have hope that this will help change all that.

Sammy is back on antibiotics for an ear infection and back on the bronchodialating medication through the nebulizer until he stops wheezing. As soon as he is healthy enough, I am having his immune system tested and food and environmental allergy testing done. The trick is actually getting him healthy so we can go get the labwork done. Sammy has been sick for the last month straight and Johnny has been sick for almost three weeks with nasty rattling coughs and perpetual runny noses. Unfortunately, I thought Johnny was almost better and now he has taken a turn for the worse and is totally sick again. The funny thing is, I had no intention of taking Sammy to the doctor as I thought he was on the tail end of this illness and was just checking with the doctor thought to see if he was healthy enough to get the labwork done. Good thing the doctor insisted I bring him in for a recheck because I had no idea he had an ear infection and I am so used to the sound of his wheezing, I didn't think there was anything I needed to be doing about it. Poor Sams!

Anyway, stay tuned for future posts boasting of good health and strong lungs! I pray for our health every day, load everyone up on vitamins and keep faith that God will see us through this challenging season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home