Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Sammy's Sick Again


Crying actually helps him breathe the medicine more deeply into his lungs

Sammy fell asleep during the second treatment

Poor Sammy. What started out looking like a cold turned into a horrible wet cough and wheezing that makes Sammy sound like Darth Vadar. In addition to the wheezing, the threw up on me 3 times yesterday, probably in part because of all the phlegm he's gagging on. After trying all of the home remedies I could think of and not being able to stop the wheezing, I took Sammy to see his pediatrician yesterday. Turns out, he has Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) which acts like a common cold in adults and older children, but can turn into a life threatening condition in babies. Sammy got a breathing treatment at the doctor's office with a nebulizer and some bronchodilating medication. I had to buy a nebulizer and will have to do these treatments on Sammy 6 times a day for a few days and then taper them off a couple days at a time. In severe cases, RSV can turn into pneumonia or require hospitalization, but my prayer is that we will be able to treat it at home effectively with his breathing treatments, humidified air and lots of rest and cuddling. Poor Sams has seemed to inherit my crappy immune system. I hope he isn't destined to get sick as often as I have. :( Unfortunately, this means Sammy and I will be home by ourselves on Thanksgiving. The doctor said this illness is "highly" contagious and I should definitely stay away from other people, especially young children. I'm still thankful for all of our blessings, in spite of our health challenges. :) Update: last night Sammy projectile vomited all over himself and his bed without waking up ... now that is scary. :( Keith changed his bedding and I changed his pajamas and he never did wake up.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Keith!!! You da man!
Alex S.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home